We have been there since July 13.
Contrary to expectations, I had most of the surprises just before the start:
The Windy application, used to read the weather forecast and navigation conditions, showed that July 19 would be the toughest. The wind was going to blow with more than 20kmh, with a gust of more than 35kmh from a partially favorable direction (N and N-E), and the swell was going to be up to 0.5 meters, from a variable direction from one hour to the next, mostly from the side (south = entrance to the bay). Given that until July 19, the wind power was less than half
On July 18 at 6 p.m., the evening before the swim start, I receive a message from the observer that he will not be able to travel and supervise my swimming; because an unforeseen medical situation occurred (he had COVID symptoms, not confirmed by the test, but with a close relative confirmed)
Obviously, I felt sorry for this man, but equally I felt sorry for all my plans, having to "run" to find a suitable observer or choose to abandon my plans and those of others.
I chose to swim, respectively to solve this situation as quickly as possible, I explained to Nikos what my observing needs are, what qualities the observer must have, what he must do and that's how I met Petros PAPANIKOLAOU, paramedic by profession, passionate hobbyist of boats (I think it is also in the DNA of Greek men), familiar with the rules of marathon swimming seeing the traditional Toroneos event.